7 Days / 6 Nights, from US$9,200 per person
Take an extraordinary train journey through Thailand, including visits to Isan Village Life, Prasat Sikhoraphum, Phanom Rung, Chiang Mai and Khao Yai National Park.
Itinerary & Timetable
- Arrive independently at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel for a complimentary overnight stay in a Superior Room.
- Please note: The Eastern & Oriental Express departure date indicated above is after the complimentary stay at the Mandarin Oriental.
- Enjoy breakfast and a private check-in at the hotel, followed by a welcome reception on board.
- Dinner is served in one of the opulent dining cars, after which you can have your fortune told by our onboard astrologer or head to the Bar Car for a nightcap.
- Following breakfast on board, join your guide for a walking tour of a traditional Isan village.
- Participate in the bai sii (sacred thread) ceremony. In this moving Thai ritual, performed by the village elders, sacred threads are tied around your wrist to offer protection for the journey.
- Rejoin the train for lunch on the move.
- Late afternoon, disembark in the small town of Sikhoraphum for Prasat Sikhoraphum, a 12th-century Khmer temple that rarely receives international visitors.
- Enjoy an evening cocktail in the temple grounds before returning to the train for a casual dinner.
- Your morning begins with a visit to Phanom Rung, another revered 12th-century Khmer temple. Explore the magnificent complex before visiting a nearby village to watch silk weavers at work.
- Late morning, return to the train, where lunch is served and the rest of the day is yours to enjoy at leisure as the train travels towards Chiang Mai.
- Enjoy onboard entertainment as rural scenes pass by your window.
- As evening turns into night, a delightful dinner, prepared with produce from the region, is served.
- Experience a day of discovery in the northern province of Chiang Mai, the ancient Lanna Kingdom. This fascinating region pre-dates Bangkok by several hundred years.
- Your choice of excursions includes a visit to an elephant camp, a tour of one of Chiang Mai's most revered Buddhist temples or a relaxed afternoon browsing the city's boutiques. Further information on excursions is provided on board, and all include a memorable Lanna-style lunch.
- Return to the train in the late afternoon and enjoy dinner on board.
- After breakfast, arrive in Lampang. Explore the city in one of its trademark pony carriages concluding your leisurely ride at Ban Sao Nak (House of Many Pillars), now a museum.
- Tour the house and gardens and enjoy morning tea on the lawn before returning to the train.
- Lunch is served on board as you enjoy the vistas from the open-air Observation Car.
- Later, order a sunset cocktail and move on to the restaurant car for dinner.
- Begin the day with an early morning visit to Khao Yai National Park.
- With an expert naturalist to guide you, explore the park, observe wildlife in its natural habitat and set off on a comfortable hike.
- Travel by coach to Gran Monte—one of the country's most celebrated vineyards—where a leisurely lunch is served at its renowned restaurant.
- Sample a selection of wines, followed by a walking tour among the vines.
- Return to the train in the late afternoon and celebrate the end of an unforgettable journey at our farewell cocktail party.
- Return to Bangkok.
Please Note: All timings shown on this website are for your guidance only. Confirmed timings will be supplied with your travel documents. Please ensure you bring your travel documents on the day of your journey.
For further information or assistance in choosing your journey, please call us on
You may also like
New Year Celebration 2014
4 days/3 nights
Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Bangkok
Fables of the Hills
June 2014 - October 2014
7 days/6 nights
Tales of Laos
4 days/3 nights
Bangkok - Bangkok